The Division of Code Enforcement is the governmental unit which deals with properties and property owners on a day-to-day basis to ensure that minimum maintenance and repair standards for all existing structures throughout the community are met. Division staff ensure that residential and commercial structures are maintained to the minimum standards set forth by the Code.
Should you have a complaint, you may report it by
Visit our office. The Code Enforcement officer offers is often working out in the field; guaranteed office hours Tuesdays 8:30-9:30am and Thursdays 1-3pm.
Completing the contact form (located on the right) -or-
Call our office (859) 234-7165 -or-
Email/mail the completed this complaint form to email@example.com .
Beginning August 1, 2018 the Department of Housing, Building and Construction will enforce the new code standards adopted by the state of Kentucky from the 2015 International Residential Code and the 2015 International Building Code. It is mandatory that the implementation of these codes, known as the 2018 Kentucky Residential Code and 2018 Kentucky Building Code, take full effect on August 1, 2018. There are a few changes as well as new adoption of codes that were not in effect in the last Kentucky code cycle (2013 KRC, 2013 KBC). Some examples of the new codes and changes are listed below.
2018 Kentucky Residential Code:
• R307 - Toilet, Bath and Shower Spaces
• R326 - Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
• R328 - Tiny Houses
• M1305 – Appliance Access
• M1403 – Heat Pump Equipment
• M1416 – Mini-split Heat Pumps
• M1503 – Range Hoods
• M1601 – Duct Construction
2018 Kentucky Building Code:
• Section 423 – Storm Shelters
• Section 426 – Combustible Dusts, Grain Processing and Storage
• Section 433 – Greenhouses
• Section 505 – Mezzanines and Equipment Platforms
• Section 603 – Combustible Materials in Types I and II Construction
• Section 713 – Shaft Enclosures
• Section 915 – Carbon Monoxide Detection
• Section 1006 – Number of Exits and Exit Access Doorways
• Section 1210 – Toilet and Bathroom Requirements
To view each code and its meaning, access the Department of Housing, Building and Construction website at www.dhbc.ky.gov for a formal interpretation of the codes. The 2018 KRC and 2018 KBC can be downloaded and printed from this site address in the Building Codes section for those who wish to have a copy on hand for a quick reference. If you have any questions or need help interpreting the new codes as well as the codes that are already in place please contact Chris Philpot, Harrison County Building Inspector at 859.234.7165 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.